Ask an Expert
call 0800 0744135
9am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday
...my wife and I have just returned from your Vietnam by Bike trip and we just loved every moment of it. The people were the absolute highlight we had a ball THANKS.
Adventure Travel Presentations - Online Booking
World Expeditions invites you to attend our inspiring Adventure Travel Info Nights. These special evenings are designed to inform and entertain and are hosted by our most experienced and passionate adventure travellers and mountaineers.
Royal Geographical Society : Because it's there Mountain Festival
Tuesday Jun 15, 2010 06:30 PM
ONLINE TICKET SALES NOW CLOSED. LIMITED TICKETS AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR FROM 6.00PM. KINDLY BRING CORRECT MONIES IF PURCHASING AT THE DOOR.
Intelligence Squared’s Because it's there Mountain Festival will take place on 15 June 2010. It will be a one evening-only exploration of what Mountains represent to humanity. From Mountains’ place in literature to how they shape history, from providing sublime nourishment for the soul to fuelling mountaineers’ addiction to vertigo, the festival will combine the IQ2 tradition of debate and discussion with film, photography and literature.
Topics of discussion to include:
· Walking off the map – what’s still yet to be explored
Keynote Speakers:• Doug Scott CBE has made 45 expeditions to the high mountains of Asia. He has reached the summit of 40 peaks, of which half were climbed via new routes or for the first time without the use of artificial oxygen and is the first Brit to summit Everest.
• George Band OBE was the youngest member of the first successful Everest expedition in 1953 and the first to climb Kangchenjunga, (the world’s third highest peak) then the highest unclimbed.
• Kenton Cool is a leading Alpine climber whose clients include Sir Ranulph Fiennes whom he took up the North Face of the Eiger and Everest. Kenton is the only European to summit Everest six times and to summit twice in a season, and on Cho Oyu made the first British ski descent of an 8000m peak.
• Stephen Venables is a mountaineer, writer and broadcaster. Stephen was the first Briton to climb Everest without supplementary oxygen. Everest was a thrilling highlight in a career which has taken Stephen right through the Himalayas, from Afghanistan to Tibet, making first ascents of many previously unknown mountains.
• Rebecca Stephens MBE is a journalist and author. She’s the first British woman to have climbed Everest and the first English-speaking woman to climb the Seven Summits, the highest mountain on each of the seven continents.
• Peter Baily is a professional coach, climber and mountaineer who has climbed some of the most challenging mountains of Asia and America and is now working in Chamonix.
• Louise Turner is a mother, mountaineer, IFMGA Guide, speaker, occasional writer and full time teacher. She has made first ascents of vertical walls in Baffin, Borneo, Britain, Greenland, Jordan, Madagascar, Mali, Norway, Pakistan, Patagonia and Venezuela. Louise worked at Plas Y Brenin - the National Mountaineering centre for 18 years where she became the first and only female Chief Instructor and is one of 6 female British Mountain Guides.
• Ed Douglas is a traveler, writer and mountaineer. His first book, about Everest, Chomolungma Sings The Blues, was published in 1997. Other books includeRegions of the Heart, a biography of mountaineer Alison Hargreaves, who disappeared returning from the summit of K2 in 1995, and the first full-length biography of Tenzing Norgay, who climbed Everest with Sir Edmund Hillary in 1953.
Purchase your tickets online using our Securepay system. Simply follow the prompts on your screen. Please note we can only accept Visa or Mastercard for ticket purchases. Please note that a charge from 'World Expeditions Melbourne' will appear on your credit card statement.
The Ticket price includes a complimentary glass of The King’s Ginger – the favoured tipple of bon viveurs, high spirited ladies and sporting gentlemen!
Thank you for your interest in our presentation.We have received an overwhelming response for this special presentation and there are currently no more tickets available for this event.
If you havenít already then we encourage you to subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, to ensure you are one of the first to hear about these special one-off presentations in the future. We donít want you to miss out again, subscribe today!Return to Adventure Travel Presentations